Professional Pet Dental Cleanings
Taking your dog or cat in for professional pet dental cleanings is just as important as providing your pet with regular physical exams. Even with good regular at-home care, plaque and tartar build up, making professional cleanings essential.
Untreated dental disease can cause significant discomfort and pain, as well as permanent loss of teeth and gum tissue. Remember, your pet cannot tell you when he or she is in pain. Pets rely on their owners to take care of them and recognize when something is out of the ordinary.
How often should I have my cat or dog's teeth cleaned?
Most veterinarians recommend dental cleanings once per year for dogs and cats. However, some breeds may require more frequent professional cleanings. When you bring your pet for a dental cleaning, you can expect the following from your local Banfield veterinary team:
- Your veterinarian will run pre-operative bloodwork to make sure your pet is healthy enough to undergo the anesthesia necessary for the procedure. While modern anesthesia is considered very safe, this is a precautionary measure to minimize any risks.
- Your veterinarian might take dental radiographs (X-rays) to provide a better evaluation of the health of your pet’s teeth and jawbone.
- During the cleaning, the veterinary team will monitor your pet’s vital signs to ensure that they are normal. These vitals include respiration rate, heart rate, blood oxygen levels, body temperature, blood pressure, ECG, and CO2 levels.
- Your pet’s teeth will be cleaned and polished with professional equipment that removes tartar and plaque, smoothes the tooth surface, and polishes the teeth.
- Antibiotics and/or pain medications may be prescribed depending on the extent of disease at the time of cleaning.
Once the dental cleaning is complete, your pet will be carefully brought out of anesthesia. Your veterinarian will ensure that your pet has recovered properly before releasing him or her to go home. Follow all home care instructions and be sure to check with your veterinarian immediately if you have any concerns.
Need more information?
Call 1.877.443.7469 to schedule a cleaning or consultation at your neighborhood Banfield. You can also learn more about Banfield’s best-in-class dental health approach on our dental care page.
Did you know?
Active Care Plus and Special Care Optimum Wellness Plans® include annual dental cleanings for dogs and cats.
Learn more about how you can give your pet the preventive care he deserves by choosing a personalized Optimum Wellness Plan today.